The Gardener's Network
Nav Menu

Even More Info:

Garden Recipes

Bushes 'n Shrubs

About Trees


Visit Our Other SiteS:

Garden Hobbies

Holiday Insights







Greenhouse Sale
Unbelievable Savings





Deck Boxes




Amazon.com
Search for:
Flowers
Annuals
Perennials
Bulbs

Cranberries

For about 10 months of the year, cranberries never pass our lips. We neither eat them, nor speak of them. Then, along comes Thanksgiving and Christmas. Cranberries as a fruit rolls onto the scene. For just a little while, we can't get enough of them.

Cranberries are grown in bogs, and are native to North America.. They are grown in very few areas of the U.S. Cape Cod and Plymouth Rock areas of Massachusetts, are where most cranberries are grown. But cranberries are also grown in New Jersey, Washington, Oregon, Wisconsin, Canada, and Europe.

Very few of us have ever trudged through the bogs of New England, in search of cranberries for the dinner table. If you did, you would be looking for an evergreen vine that grows low to the ground. The white or pink flowers give way to red, oval berries with a tart taste. The berries are harvested in September and October, just in time for you to use them in your favorite holiday recipes.

Cranberries have had medicinal uses, most commonly for treating urinary infections. It also is high in Vitamin C and is often eaten to help fight and avoid colds. In the 1800's, American sailors ate cranberries on long voyages to prevent scurvy.

Cranberry Trivia:

  •  Cranberries are served at over 94% of Thanksgiving dinners.

  • Over 770 million pounds of cranberries are consumed on Thanksgiving.

  • 859 million pounds of cranberries were grown in the U.S. in 2016

  • Cranberries contain over 90% water. It's the other 10% that tastes so good,and is so healthy for us.

  • Cranberries are closely related to Blueberries.

  • In the early 1800's, cranberries were consumed on long sea voyages,to help prevent scurvy.

  • The state of Wisconsin, produces about two and a half times more cranberries than Massachusetts.

  • Good, ripe cranberries bounce, when dropped on a table. And, they will float. This is due to a small air pocket inside of the fruit.

  • American settlers first made cranberry juice in 1683.

It was unlikely that Cranberry sauce was on the menu at the first Thanksgiving. Cranberry sauce requires sugar, which was in short supply in those early days. But cranberries were most likely there, and consumed in some form, as they ripened just in time for the Thanksgiving feast.


Cranberry Recipes:

May we suggest:.......

Cranberry Drop Cookies recipe

Cranberry Sauce with Brandy

More of our Garden Recipes


Health Benefits of Cranberries

Loaded with antioxidants and essential healthy nutrients, Cranberries offer many health benefits. Whether you like cranberries or not, drinking a glass a day, can be very beneficial to your health

Health benefits include:

  • Fights kidney and bladder problems - prevents kidney stones, too.

  • Fights cancer - helps avoid and fight breast, lung, colon, and prostate cancers.

  • Treats urinary tract infections - can block infections from occurring, and help to fight existing infections.

  • Fights heart disease - lowers bad cholesterol, prevents plaque build-up in arteries.

  • Prevents dental problems - prevents plaque build-up, gingivitis and gum disease.

  • Aids in weight loss - flushes system, improves metabolism.

  • Strengthens immune system - antioxidants flush out harmful toxins.

  • Improves mental health - helps to relieve stress and anxiety, as well as depression.

  • Anti-aging properties - helps skin look younger, aids health of internal organs.

  • relieves skin problems - including acne, dermatitis, excema and psoriasis


More Gardening Information and Resources:

Cape Cod Cranberry Grower's Association

More on Bird Control

Soil Testers



Garden Seeds for Sale Buy top quality, brand name flower, vegetable and herb seeds, at discount sale prices. The best quality at the lowest prices...anywhere!

Bird, Deer, and Rabbit Pest Netting - Keeps critters out, period!

Compost Tumblers quickly make the very best dirt.

Buy a Composter now

More on Composters and Compost Tumblers


Bird Control

About this Fruit:
Apples
Apricot
Blueberry
Cherries
Crab Apple
Cranberry
Figs
Grapes
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Pineapple
Raspberry
Rhubarb
Strawberry

Shopping Channels:

Gardening:
Garden Seeds
Composter
Greenhouse
Pest Control
Planter
Raised Bed
Garden Supplies
Trees 'n Shrubs

Yard 'n Deck
Fake Rocks
Hammocks
Outdoor Storage
Solar Lights

Halloween:
Pumpkin Carving
Decorating
Jello Mold
4 the Party








tomato, press, food, processor, mill, roma
Tomato Sauce Maker


| Home | A to Z's of Growing | Flowers | Fruit | Bulbs | Vegetables | Lawn Care | Pumpkins | House Plants |
|
Herbs | Organic | Plant Problems | 4 the Birds | Garden Recipes |


Copyright 1999 - 2018 © Premier Star Company