Poisonous plants can be found almost anywhere. You might chance upon them in the woods, along a park path or nature trail. They could be a weed in a field. We all know about Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, and Poison Sumac. There are also lesser-known poisonous plants, like the Giant Hogweed plant pictured above. If you come in contact with any of these three plants, they can give you a mild to severe rash. Most everyone is also aware that some varieties of mushrooms can make you ill. A few types of mushrooms are even fatal in small amounts.
Unfortunately, they might be in your lawn or garden. This is especially true if your property is next to a field or woods.
Several poisonous plants home gardeners should be aware of, especially if you have children or pets. Poisonous plants can produce symptoms from very mild stomach cramps, rashes, and pains to very serious and even life-threatening conditions. While most cause illness if ingested, some can make you ill by contact.
Depending upon the plant, parts or all of it can be harmful. In some cases, parts of a plant are edible, while other parts are harmful.
Even a few garden plants could be harmful. For example, the leaves of tomato plants can be an irritant to your skin. Also, potatoes are a popular garden crop and a staple at the table and in fast-food restaurants. However, a potato in your garden will turn green if exposed to sunlight. When the potato turns green, it contains a poisonous toxin that will make you ill.
Finally, be cautious of what you put into your garden composter. You do not want these harmful plants to make their way into your garden via the compost.